My friend hasn't been very well so Alyssa decided to bake him a cake.
Self raising flour
Random decorations that have been lurking around in your cupboards
1. Weigh the 3 eggs in their shells. This is your weight that you measure everything else by to get the quantities needed. For the flour and cocoa powder, you do 55g of Cocoa Powder and then make up to the total weight with self raising flour. Our eggs weighed 200g so we had 200g margarine, 200g sugar, 55g cocoa powder and 145g self raising flour.
2. Cream together the sugar and margarine.
3. Add the eggs individually and whisk in slowly to combine the mixture.
4. Sift in the flour and mix in a bit so that when you whisk it you don't end up with a cloud of flour in front of you. Whisk until it's a bit fluffy looking or until your 7 year old gets bored and just wanted to put it in the oven.
As you can tell, our recipes are quite a bit of "throw it in and hope for the best". For us it's about the fun in making something and how edible it actually is rather than it winning awards.
I think The Sweetpeas actually just like being allowed to use another gadget in the kitchen.
5.Put into a cake tin and bake at 170C for about 20 minutes or until the cake tester comes out clean when you poke it.
6. Lick the beaters before you tackle the task of washing up.
Once cooled, we decorated it with random items we found in the cupboard leftover from other baking days.
I like how Alyssa demands him to "Get Well Now".
Alyssa sent him a film to ask his permission to have a bit as she thought he is obviously "far too poorly to eat it."
It tasted really lovely and I have had a great time doing a bit of baking with The Sweetpeas. They even found a bit of time to use up a jar of mincemeat in some bough pastry cases. (Reduced shelf at Tesco! Don't you just love it?!)
Chunky thought they looked yummy before they were even cooked.